In what can only be described as the year’s biggest disappointment (yet) to Worcester pundits and bloggers, city councilor/blog mascot Mike Germain will not be running against Phil Palmieri for the D2 Councilor seat.
“Phil and I are friends,” Mr. Germain said. “We both sometimes say things in the heat of the moment. There’s no question that some things were said that night that got us rather emotional. If I had waited a day or two, I probably would have had a different take on things and not said some of the things I said or even taken out papers (for District 2). I’m running for an at-large seat and that’s that.”
(Which could pretty much be the motto of Phil’s terms on the city council.)
My response, in multiple parts:
1) Just when I’d finally gotten Asia out of my head, MG puts it back in.
2) People keep talking about how the Council is so divisive. Isn’t it nice when you see a case of folks who put aside their differences for the greater good? (Or, rather, so that they can have a slightly easier re-election campaign?)
3) The D2 race was going to keep me in posts all through the fall. A debate would have kept me in Germainisms for a month. Now what am I going to write about?
4) I think the smoking man was behind this.
5) Thank goodness MG is still running for at-large, because the city as a whole would be diminished without comments like this:
Mike Gemaine can run, but he can’t hide. He would lose even if he ran for dog catcher.